Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’s disguises and faction codenames
The article below on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story may contain spoilers from the upcoming film, so read on at your own risk. Please do not openly discuss these rumors on social media as to not spoil the movie for anyone that wants to remain spoiler-free.
If you’re a fan of Rebels jumping into Imperial armor sets, you’re going to be jazzed about this Rogue One: A Star Wars Story tidbit. Apparently there’s a sequence in the film where Felicity Jones and Diego Luna go into disguise. It sounds a little like A New Hope, right? There’s a slight difference–they’re not stormtroopers.
In the film she dresses up as a Imperial Gunner. Diego Luna’s character doesn’t; instead he goes for a higher commanding station and dresses up as an Imperial Commander. It sounds a little like some A New Hope hijinks in a way. With the more serious nature of this film, I do wonder if it will be a bit more tactical than sneaking around a battle station. Gareth Edwards did make it abundantly clear to us at Celebration that A New Hope is his favorite Star Wars film.
Alan Tudyk’s character has been described to me as a more than a droid. He’s a commando droid and he looks really cool. Details are being withheld for now and I wish I knew more about him.
Here is a little on the codenames for various factions and what they might tell us about Rogue One: A Star Wars Story:
- Felicity Jones’ character is codenamed Green Seal Leader by the production.
- Seal Communicator Blue is Jiang Wen’s character (the guy with the red armor on behind Donnie Yen in the cast photo).
- Eel Commander is Forest Whitaker’s character. This faction destination has led me to speculate he’s a bounty hunter affiliated character.
- Seal Droid is Alan Tudyk’s character.
- The bad guys have codenames related to sharks.
- The factions when coded amount to seals, eels, and sharks.
I personally don’t think the codenames are indicative of backstory as much as their place in the film itself. Wen’s character might be a bounty hunter in the film but he’s a rebel at heart or something to that affect. That’s my thinking right now and it very well may be misinterpreted.