A Star Wars Story
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story trailer and analysis! (pic heavy)
The Rogue One: A Star Wars Story trailer is finally here! We quickly jotted down notes to share our thoughts and put this together for you to read and we reference some past stories we have heard about Rogue One here. Remember, these are first impressions and ideas that popped up as I watched the trailer. It might be amended for factual misconceptions and so on later in the day as we find things to add or take away.
- The Force theme plays on a piano. “State your name for the record.” And she says “Jyn Erso,” the name we had been hearing for sometime. Interesting, we learned the last name at a different time when we heard of Lyra Erso. What’s particularly cool about this moment is Jyn is walking into the Yavin temple we will see in A New Hope.
- As they read off her arrest record, we see that she’s a very tough person.
- Mon Mothma lets us know she has been on her own she she was 15 years old (It looks a lot like Genevieve O’Reilly, who played Mon Mothma in Revenge of the Sith but we might be wrong).
- Diego Luna’s character Cassein Willix looks on in amusement as they read her arrest record.
- As we hear the line “This is a rebellion?” by Jyn, we can see her with a head scarf on with the Enforcer Droid Alan Tudyk will be playing.
- It appears we then see Jyn beat the crap out of a few Stormtroopers and grab an E-11. I’m pretty sure Cassein is behind her as the jacket looks like the jacket he wears in the cast photo.
- The explosions here look really similar to the ones debuted in The Force Awakens. Those explosions were from X-wings up above and we know the black X-wing is there if it hasn’t crashed yet. Could be charges or blasts from the ships above.
- “I rebel.” Mon Mothma seems saddened but this reaction shot could be attached to another scene or line than what we perceive her to be reacting to.
- Jyn looks out the window. “We have a mission for you.”
- A shadow is cast up on the backdrop of the Death Star as a Star Destroyer flies by, dwarfed by the size of the space station. Notice the top of the Star Destroyer is slightly different from what we have seen on film. We then see the “dish” of the Death Star being placed in. The battle station is pretty much complete, one would think based on the appearance here. “A weapons test is imminent and we need to know what it is and how to destroy it,” says Mon Mothma.
- A rebel appears to chastise Jyn as he asks “Is that clear?” “Yes, sir” she responds with a somewhat defiant tone.
- We see the rebels scrambling as sirens blare.
- We then see Ben Mendelsohn in the white cape we described a while ago. Behind him you can see the Death Star-style viewscreens from A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.
- We then see the Hover Tank roll by. The Hover Tank Troopers are the ones we saw but these ones have blast shields like the new TIE Fighter pilots from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- We then see Forrest Whitaker walking with a cane, a rumor we also heard. Is that the power suit we heard about that reminds some sources of Buzz Lightyear? Might be!
- The Death Squad troopers show up and their masks do glow green, however this is a daytime shot, making it not as obvious as in other things we may see in the future. In the background you can see fire and rubble.
- “What will you do when they catch you?” and we see captured X-wing pilots being marched through the streets.
- Jyn flees with the Enforcer Droid and Cassein. The costume is entirely different for Cassein, making me think he dropped his jacket or maybe he’s about to get into the Imperial outfit we heard about.
- We see the Scarab Troopers and Stormtroopers running frantically towards something.
- As Donnie Yen’s character challenges the group of Stormtroopers to a fight, you can see the downed Black X-wing on the set we described some time ago.
- Yen messes up the Stormtroopers with his stick. Is he blind as we have all speculated so much? Is that why the Stormtroopers underestimate him instead of just shooting him?
- We get a good look at the Death Squad rifles firing on the beach.
- An Imperial transport explodes. Is that Ben Mendelsohn’s ship?
- A rebel reacts to the blast wearing an Endor Rebel Trooper style of helmet.
- Ben Mendelsohn walks towards the explosion through a puddle in his fancy white cape.
- Two of the Emperor’s Royal Guards stand next to a blue “Bacta Tank” or “Energy Source” looking light while a figure cloaked in black descends down to his knees. The figure is cloaked and doesn’t appear to be Darth Vader.
- Forrest Whitaker asks, “If you continue to fight, what will you become?” I can see a little more here why sources thought he looked like Buzz Lightyear.
- We see Jian Wen’s character with his flamethrower running from explosions. We have heard he’s a weapons expert.
- Cassein and Jyn run towards AT-ATs which differ from the type we saw in The Empire Strikes Back. These AT-ATs debuted in Season 2 of Star Wars Rebels and are much bigger.
- We see Jyn dressed in an Imperial outfit in a hallway that’s clearly Imperial but reminiscent of the one Luke walked down on Bespin during his duel with Darth Vader.
- Potential Moment of Crazy: When the line “What will you become?” is uttered do we hear Darth Vader’s inhale and exhale layered in the sound under Whitaker’s line? I heard this on my television more than my computer but its probably in my head. Shortly after this the piano plays “The Imperial March,” too.
I have to say I loved the trailer. This movie has exceeded my expectations and I think Rogue One is going to be a magical film worthy of kicking off the A Star Wars Story line of films. Gareth Edwards appears to have rocked the hell of out this film! I’m all in.