A couple of weeks back, it was announced that we’d be getting a Han Solo-centric Star Wars Anthology film in 2018 to be directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie) and scripted by screenwriting legend Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark) and his son Jon Kasdan.
For whatever reason, I find myself thinking about this Star Wars film more than any of the others in development with the exception of the imminent Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As my mind has raced with possibilities, there have remained a handful of things that I know I’d like to see in an introductory Han Solo movie and one thing that I’d rather not, and I thought I would share them you since it is fun to speculate in the absence of more concrete information. And so, here is my list of things I’d like to see in a Han Solo Star Wars Anthology film:
- Han Solo’s Imperial Past – For years, I remember hearing that Han had served in the Empire in some fashion. Even before I read A.C. Crispin’s Han Solo Trilogy in the late ‘90s, that had been the story I’d grown up with (even if I can’t remember where I first came across it). As such, it’s something that I’ve always wanted to see onscreen and hope they keep that background for the second Anthology film.
- Han Solo rescuing Chewbacca – Related to Han’s time in the service is his meeting Chewbacca. According to the Expanded Universe, Han Solo was discharged due to his rescue of the Wookiee, who was enslaved by the Empire at the time. There are a lot of story possibilities there and multiple ways of adapting such a scenario. Undoubtedly we’ll see how the two friends meet, but it’d be great if they took these broad strokes out of Legends and made them canon.
- Lando Calrissian Owning the Millennium Falcon – While there’s no guarantee Lando will even show up, let’s be real: he’s going to be in this thing. Why? Because a Han Solo story isn’t complete without the Millennium Falcon, and with this being the story of Han becoming the smuggler we all know and love, you know the Falcon will be making an appearance. And if it does, it’ll have to be in the hands of Lando Calrissian, something most fans have dreamed of since learning in The Empire Strikes Back that the gambler lost the ship to Han.
- The Criminal Underworld – I love the seedy side of the Star Wars universe. The scenes in Jabba’s palace are among my favorites in the films, and I really enjoyed how Star Wars: The Clone Wars opened up that world by making the Black Sun criminal organization canon while also introducing the spice dealing Pyke Syndicate into the lore. It’d be fascinating to see how these groups or others (the Crymorah Syndicate keeps getting mentioned in the new novels and comics, causing me to suspect we’ll see them on screen sooner than later) interact with Han’s known employer, Jabba the Hutt, as well as how Han found himself working for such people. But really, I just want more weird aliens and the underworld is a great place for that.
As for the thing I’d prefer not to see in this film:
- Han Solo winning the Millennium Falcon from Lando – While I wouldn’t be upset if it did happen, the reason I don’t want it to is simple: there’s more than enough story to cover an entire movie with Han and Chewie’s first meeting, Han’s introduction to Lando and the Falcon, as well as how he became involved in a life of crime. While gaining the Falcon would be a good way to top it off, I’d actually prefer to see it happen in a later Han Solo movie and have them give us something to look forward to. Imagine if the movie ends and Han still hasn’t won the ship from Lando. Would you feel ripped off or would you want to see a sequel right then and there? I’m of the latter mindset myself, and so I’m hoping they don’t try to rush all of the beats that we know have to play out in just one film. Let them stretch it out over a few movies and set up a mini-franchise with Solo. It could be a lot of fun.