The time for is almost upon us: Force Friday is happening this coming Friday morning. When the clocks hit 12:01 on September 4th, all the new merchandise from Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be released into the world for all to purchase. With such a varied amount of product incoming it can be a tough challenge deciding exactly what you want to buy the most. You go into events like this thinking “I’m only going to purchase this” or “I’m limiting myself to that,” but when you step through the doors of your preferred store on September 4th that could all change!
So I thought, why not compile a small list of tips for all you like-minded Star Wars fans out there to use prior to and on Force Friday. As an avid collector myself I have gone through numerous phases when it comes to my personal collection; from the 3.75 inch line of action figures, to LEGO then onto the 6-inch line, and back to my beloved 3.75 inch collection. I know it can be difficult to restrain yourself with so much tempting you, however there is a few things to consider:
- Space. Before you decide to pick up numerous types of product think about your free space at home. If, like myself you may have limited display space, so you should really consider that before buying almost everything on store shelves. You don’t want to get home and realize you’ve got nowhere to display your new product–what’s the fun in putting it all in storage, right?
- Budget. I’m sure many of you have been saving for this event; however, if you don’t have a game plan going into Force Friday you may end up picking up more than you’d bargained for and in turn going over budget, which is never a good thing!
With what I’d consider the two most important factors out of the way, let me give you a few personal tips when it comes to collecting Star Wars merchandise:
- If you’re already a collector it’s possible you already have limited display space, why not consider future proofing? That means going through your existing collection and taking away parts of it that aren’t your most beloved items. Maybe sell them or put them into storage–this way you are more prepared for the massive influx of Star Wars merchandise that is incoming.
- Why not re-focus your collection? Some people collect a variation of product from figures to kitchen utensils (which is absolutely fine of course); however if we’re considering space here you may slowly become overwhelmed with product. Recently I completely re-focused my collection, and from now on will only be collecting the 3.75 inch line of figures plus a few Micro Machines (Yes they’re coming back)! It is a really smart idea and ties into the future proofing tip above.
- Don’t feel pressured to buy everything you see on Force Friday. Most stores will be getting regular delivery of stock from now on. So if you think you haven’t budgeted enough for the initial release, don’t worry–you’ll be able to go back to the store a week or so later and pick up what you missed first time around.
- One last piece of advice: try and get to your store of choice early on Force Friday. Retailers like Toys “R” Us are giving away a free limited edition poster to the first 75 people in line that’ll be something you want to grab from this momentous occasion!
I hope this small guide has helped with your plans for Force Friday. It’s certainly going to be a lot of fun, and I like all of you cannot wait to pick up these new toys! Oh, and one last thing–think before you buy everything, or your house may end up looking like this the day after!