Earlier today Starwars.com gave us the first official photograph from The Mandalorian and that release confirmed our earlier scoops on Dave Filoni being a director and it was also nice to see Taika Waititi confirmed. I don’t believe the episode count was addressed in their press release and I had heard that the show was having an eight-episode run that was “all killer, no filler.”
This is the breakdown of the directors and which episode number of the first season of The Mandalorian they will be directing for the live-action Star Wars streaming show:
- 101 Dave Filoni
- 102 Rick Famuyiwa
- 103 Deborah Chow
- 104 Bryce Dallas Howard
- 105 Dave Filoni
- 106 Rick Famuyiwa
- 107 Deborah Chow
- 108 Taika Waititi
As you can see Dave Filoni, Deborah Chow, and Rick Famuyiwa are directing two episodes each. While Jon Favreau is not directing any episodes, we have seen him around the set and he seemed pretty involved with the work being conducted.
We’re really happy to see Lucasfilm embracing such a strong list of interesting and diverse directors. There’s people on that list that would never have to direct television and the fact that they are says something about how invested they are in their love of Star Wars that they’re willing to take on this project and that’s really cool. It would not surprise me if we saw some directors from this series move into the feature films for the saga at some point.
I’ve seen a lot of Deborah Chow’s work without knowing I had seen a lot of Deborah Chow’s work in television. The fact she directed an episode of Mr. Robot is a really exciting tidbit for me because that’s the best show on television. If you haven’t started that series, you really should. If you just look at her body of work, you’ll find a show you dig. She clearly has the chops to jump into any kind of story and direct in that universe seamlessly, so we’re lucky to have her.
How cool is it for the Howards as a family to have a father and a daughter that have directed Star Wars now? I’m really excited to see what Bryce Dallas Howard does as a director. I haven’t seen her short films but it is interesting to see what she may do with Star Wars, and hopefully the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree because I love all the work Ron Howard has ever done with Lucasfilm, from Willow to Solo.
How exciting is it that Dave Filoni is directing live-action Star Wars? That rumor has been coming into the site since 2017. But Filoni is so loved by the fanbase, he’s been rumored to do everything fans are speculating about, so I was cautious to say the least. But Filoni has done so much strong work in animation, I’m elated to imagine what he might do with live-action Star Wars.There’s so many cool things he’s done that have only been done in animation and if he can bring that to live action, it is going to be amazing.
Taika Waititi made one of my two favorite Marvel films so I’m really excited to see what he does with Star Wars. I’m a fan of The Inbetweeners and I think he’s going to be excellent. I have a feeling he will be getting the most attention and love from the announcement.
I thought I had not seen any of Rick Famuyiwa’s films. But I realized I have seen Dope and really enjoyed it. There’s lots more of Famuyiwa’s work for me to check out, however. The coolest part of new directors coming to Star Wars for me is that I usually explore their work when I wasn’t exposed to it before.
As exciting as this list of directors is I’m also still buzzing from our report that Rogue One Director of Photography Greig Fraser will be DP on The Mandalorian. I’m a huge fan of the look of Rogue One and I know Fraser is going to make this show look incredible.
The talent involved in this list is going to make for a really strong and interesting season of the series. I know I always say this, but we’re living in the best time to be a Star Wars fan. Don’t doubt it!
Check back for more updates as we continue to follow all things of interest with Star Wars and The Mandalorian!
Check out more of our reporting on the series and get caught up on anything you’ve missed!
- A Star Wars: The Mandalorian set report, photos, costume description, rumored director, and episode count.
- Exclusive Star Wars: The Mandalorian costume photos and happenings update! - October 3rd
- Exclusive high resolution photos & podcasting from a Star Wars: The Mandalorian filming location in Southern California!
- Exclusive: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and the Mystery of the Blast Doors! Over 100 dazzling photos full of intrigue and wonderment!
- Happy Birthday Jon Favreau! George Lucas on the set of The Mandalorian.
- Has Game of Thrones' Pedro Pascal been cast in the live-action Star Wars television series?
- If Star Wars: The Mandalorian is "Project Huckleberry" then Werner Herzog is cast in the series and we saw the smoking gun
- Interesting set photos from Star Wars: The Mandalorian, a John Leguizamo rumor, and a strange tidbit!
- Jon Favreau's live-action Star Wars Television series starts filming next week, first set photos!
- Rumor: Live Action Star Wars Series to be about Mandalorians after the fall of the Empire?
- Star Wars Set Photo: The Modular Mandalorian and Greig Fraser confirmed as director of photography for the series?
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Set Report, a better look at the location, woman director rumor, and MCU director rumor!
- The Mandalorian and the Remnants of the Empire after "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" with a photo!
Last Updated on