StarWars.com just announced Star Wars: Racer is coming to Nintendo Switch and PS4. I first played this back in 1999 when it was released for the N64 and there was even an upgrade for the 64 to improve the performance. Thankfully today you won’t need to upgrade anything, just have a Switch or a PS4. The big thing for me is multiplayer but it sounds like it has to do with friends with their Switches together in the same location rather than over Nintendo’s online service.
- 25 playable racers including: Anakin Skywalker, Sebulba, and Ratts Tyerell
- Race tracks spanning 8 unique worlds including: Tatooine, Baroonda, and Malastare
- Work with pit droids to upgrade your podracer for higher top speeds and acceleration
- Discover short-cuts and secrets to master your lap times
- Split-screen multiplayer (Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4) and LAN multiplayer (Nintendo Switch)
One of the coolest features about Racer is that Jake Lloyd voiced young Anakin Skywalker and I recall there being a ton of new Anakin lines in the game that really made the game something special for Star Wars fans. I do wonder if I will feel the same not playing on the old N64 controller which I recall had a tactile vibe that was rather well suited for the gameplay itself. That said, I’m sure there are a bunch of you that weren’t even born when this game came out and I’m glad you’ll be able to experience it.
My children and I own a few Nintendo Switch Lite portables which makes me happy so they can experience this game now too. I’m way more jazzed than not about it. I did always hope they would revise the game and build it up for modern consoles like Xbox One. That said, I’ll take something over nothing when it comes to a great classic Star Wars game.